Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bug Jammin' Jam

In July the girls spent some time with my parents in Indiana.  While they were gone I painted part of the kitchen (which still isn't done), tried to get organized, and made lots and lots of Jams and Jellies.  One of the girls favs is what we call Bug Jammin' Jam.  Yes, bugs.

To me I get sick of the same boring jams and jellies.  I want something different.  Something fun.  Unique.  In my quest for something fun I created Bug Jammin' Jam.  I bought all the ingredients at my local super Walmart.

Bug Jammin' Jam

2 Mexican Mangoes
4 Kiwis
2 cups of Pineapple juice
1 cup of Orange juice
2 tsp of kosher salt
3 TBSP of tequila
1 package of freezer pectin
4 cups of sugar

Dice up the mangoes and sprinkle with salt and sugar and set aside in a bowl.  Scoop out the kiwi guts and toss with the diced mangoes.

In a non stick sauce pan (it is what I used) add the juices, salt, and tequila; cook on medium heat for 15 mins. Now add the fruit and sugar to the juice mixture.  Now turn the heat up a little.  On my stove medium is 5- at this point this is when I bump it up to between 6 and 7.  You want it to boil some and once it reaches a boil then reduce it to low.  I let it cook on low for 3 hours.  You want the juice to reduce to a wonderful thick syrup.

While this is cooking on low you can either boil some water for your canning jars, rings, and lids or sterilize your plastic containers in the dishwasher.  Once done place them on a clean dry towel.  I used both when I was making the jams.

After the 3 hours, pull the sauce pan off the heat and stir in one packet of freezer pectin.  Then spoon into your jars/containers.  My jars were 1/2 pint in size.  This batch made 6 jars, another time it made 7 jars.

As you can see that the seeds from the kiwi look like bugs.  At first the kids didn't know what to think of it but now it is a must have for all toast, rolls, ice cream, oatmeal, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment