Saturday, February 11, 2012

I like things CRUSTY...

One of the hardest things when you have WLS is giving up certain things that have become a comfort food.  I have to admit I love a good fish dipped in batter and fried.  I love things with a crunch on the outside with a moist middle.  Since then I try hard to avoid it because I couldn't right ingredients to get it just right without blowing my eating plan.

Last night I wanted to do pork chops with just a little texture on the outside.  I read some of the cookbooks in my collections and nothing jumped out in what I should do to keep it low carb.  Well when I was cleaning up from making the cookies I spilled some brown rice flour.  Right then it felt like I got hit by a frying pan... why didn't I try some of my "alt" flours.  It was a great success... Everyone loved them last night!

GF flouring mixture:
1/4 cup of brown rice flour
1 tsp of kosher salt
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of white pepper
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp of sugar

Mix in a bowl and rub away on the meat.  But, if you would like this to be a fine grain rub, then blitz in a coffee/spice grinder.  Once I had coated the meat I let it set for a few minutes while the olive oil heated up in the skillet.  And then cooked away in the skillet till done, only flipping once.  I had about 1.5 inch thick boneless pork chops, heat on Med High.

Now you could always to the egg/flour mixture dip with this mixture.  However you will have to make a lot more...

I tonight we are going to try this mixture out on some white fish that I have in the freezer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment